Thursday, April 3, 2014

Review: Never Have I Ever: My Life (So Far) Without a Date


Chalk this up for another win thanks to my library and blogger friend, Natalie. I was perusing my holds list one day when I saw that Never Have I Ever: My Life (So Far) Without a Date by Katie Heaney was on my list. The mystery? I couldn't recall putting a hold on it! I discovered Natalie wanted to read it and decided to  have "me" request that the library purchase it. Fine by me! I had heard about this book on the interwebs and was intrigued. By the time it showed up, I was really looking forward to seeing what it was all about. It turns out all the praise I've been seeing was well worth it. It was such a fun read!

First though, I must say that this isn't going to be a book for everyone. I don't want to limit its reach but I feel like Heaney's book has a smaller reach than the average book. The majority of readers will be of a certain age (20-30), will be female, and will enjoy reading a memoir about someone else. I, and other millennials, fit right into the target demographic but anyone who thinks we really are the me generation should probably take a pass on this one.

I loved reading this book but I couldn't help but think...damn, I'm jealous of this girl! How did she get a book deal and I'm still sitting here writing on this little blog? I may have a long term boyfriend but she has a hell of a work ethic - something I lack. And I can't really be jealous of her. I'm happy that she, this person I've never met but feel like I could be besties with, managed to score this book deal and I wish her all the best. And maybe, just maybe, she's helped me see that I could do this too. Time for research, perhaps?

But back to the book. I adored how it was written. It was in a voice I was familiar with because my voice is quite similar. That helped me connect with Heaney even more, I think. It also helped that we're similar in age (from what I can tell she's a year older than I am), have similar interests, and are both super tall ladies (she says she's 5'11.5" and I'm 6'). We read the same books growing up (I don't know if I've ever met anyone who's read Bad Girls), had the same crush on JTT (and were both let down when we realized how short he is), and were both incredibly, painfully shy growing up. I love that Heaney let it all out and shared everything with us, total strangers. She's funny, smart, and seems like a genuinely awesome person.

If you think you can't enjoy this book if you're in a long term relationship, you're wrong. I've been with my boyfriend for almost nine years (holy crap) so it's been a long time since I've had a crush or had to deal with the "are we on a date or not" or "does he like me like I like him" type questions. It did remind me of what I was like in elementary and high school and I'm actually considering busting out my diaries from those years to see how ridiculous I really was. Who knows if that'll be a good idea! :)

If you're looking for a good memoir that's at times both laugh out loud funny and thought provoking, check out Never Have I Ever. I'm sure you'll wish Katie Heaney was your BFF, just like I do!

2 comments:

  1. Wooohoo! So glad to hear that you enjoyed this one (especially since I put it on hold for you lol)! I can't wait to read it for myself now haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me about this book! I meant to add it to my list, especially with Lindsey had mentioned JTT (LOVED HIM.) :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!