Friday, August 8, 2014

Review: Virgin


I really had no idea what to expect when I started Radhika Sanghani's novel Virgin. With a title like that who would? I ended up being really happy with this novel. It was a thoroughly entertaining novel full of real characters.

Here's the synopsis:
Okay, I admit it…I didn’t do it.
Yet.
This is normal, right?  I mean, just because everyone I know has talked like they’ve already done it doesn’t mean that they’re telling the truth…right?
It’s not like I’m asking for that much. I don’t need the perfect guy. I don’t need candlelight or roses. Honestly, I don’t even need a real bed.
The guys I know complain that girls are always looking for Mr. Right—do I have to wear a sign that says I’m only looking for Mr. Right Now?
Sooooo…anyone out there want sex? Anyone? Hello? Just for fun?
I am not going to die a virgin. One way or another I am going to make this happen.
Hey, what have I got to lose? Besides the obvious.
Main character Ellie was awesome. Even if you're nothing like her, you can relate to her. I loved that. She was smart and funny and someone I could totally see myself having a drink (or three) with. Had I not connected with Ellie I may have found it harder to enjoy the novel but, thankfully, that wasn't the case. She intrigued me and I couldn't wait to see where she ended up at the end of her quest to lose her virginity. 

If you're uncomfortable talking (or reading) about sex (of any kind), pubic hair, and all that other stuff that comes with sexual relations...you're not going to like this book. But if you are as confused as Ellie when it comes to grooming and mouth placement, or just love talking about all things sex, you'll enjoy this read. Which, incidentally, is sort of what Ellie and her new friend (I want to say Emma...) started their vlog about all things vagina (side note: using the term vlog was misleading as their blog was strictly writing and did not include any videos). Their aim was to educate the uneducated as well as talk to the online world about their own experiences. 

In trying to recall if Emma's name was, in fact, Emma (which I'm still not sure and I can't check my copy as it's expired...sincere apologies if I'm wrong!) I decided to read through some of the reviews on Goodreads to see if anyone mentioned her name (these are the times I get frustrated with ereaders!). In my browsing I found a few one and two star reviews and they irked me. A lot of them seemed to think that Ellie's naiveté was unrealistic. How could she be so clueless about sex? Personally, I didn't find it that hard to believe. Maybe it's because I had a group of friends as a teen who didn't talk about sex. (oh god, this is turning into a review I hope my grandma doesn't read...) Does it really matter that she didn't seem to know what to do when presented with a sexual experience? Ellie was crazy obsessed with losing her virginity but I thought that her desire to educate herself (both in all things sex as well as through traditional education) sort of balanced her personality. 

There's just a little something (an unidentifiable something...the worst kind) that kept me from rating Virgin really high but I have no problem recommending Radhika Sanghani's novel. Especially if you like real characters, oddball humour, and a realistic story. This is definitely one to check out!

*An eARC of this novel was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!